no startkde scripts for KDE4

Martin S shieldfire at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 06:10:13 GMT 2007

2007/12/18, Franklin <franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw>:

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded the kde4 rc2 sources, then compiled and installed
> successfully.  However, I could not find the "startkde" script for KDE4 in
> the installed directory.  I also tried to search it in the source code,
> and
> nothing found either.  Could anyone please tell me where to get this
> script?

This is the xsession file I use for KDE4

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/kde4
TryExec=/usr/bin/kde4
Name=KDE 4.0 RC2+
Comment=KDE 4.0 test build

not startkde in there. This is taken from the opensuse repository
installation so should be correct.

As to the design of KDE4 it has taken a lot criticism. Mostly unfounded
imho, granted it doesn't seem to be laptop friendly though. As to RC2 it's
not really rc-quality imho. Plasma isn't near production quality and if it
isn't then KDE4 isn't in RC state.

Martin S

Thanks,

> Regards,