s2ram and kde-guidance-powermanager

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Aug 22 22:00:08 BST 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007, pol wrote:
> <posted & mailed>
>
> After 6 months working fine, the default method to suspend to ram does not
> resume X correctly any more, on my laptop.
> Luckly, i have found the plain line command 's2ram -f' works, although not
> to perfection (e.g. fan does not start).
>
> I have suitably changed the script used by 'power manager', that is:
>  /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux
> to select 's2ram -f' as  command to suspend my machine.

Powermanager and HAL are two totally different applications.

> However, I would like to understand why the default dbus command does not
> work so as to try to fix it, but syntax is so cryptic i need your help.
> Here is the command:
>    dbus-send --system --dest=com.novell.powersave \
>                         --print-reply /com/novell/powersave \
>                         com.novell.powersave.action.SuspendToRam
>
> What are those options? Which parameters affect the resume process?

dbus-send is the D-Bus utililty program for sending messages on the D-Bus

--system tells the program to connect to the D-Bus system bus (as opposed to
connecting to the user's session bus)

--dest tells the program which recepient to send to, i.e. which destination
program the message should be sent to

--print-reply just enabled printing of any answer the destination might send
back, e.g. an error or an OK

/com/novell/powersave is a so-called object path. This is an internal address
of the destination program, so it knows which of its D-Bus enabled objects
should process the message

com.novell.powersave.action.SuspendToRam is the method/function of the object
the message is sent to.

Since there are no further parameters, in indicates that this function does
not expect any parameters

If you need a concept to compare this to, it is a bit like this:

the --dest part is the address of a house, the path thing is the description
how to reach a certain room and the function is something to do in that room.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring