KMix Sound Issues...

Raena Lea-Shannon raen at internode.on.net
Mon Aug 13 13:35:42 BST 2007

On Monday 13 August 2007 08:31:44 Timothy Klaver wrote:
> Why is it that every time I restart my computer KMix resets my sound
> settings? I set it to 'SB Live 5.1', but every time I turn on my
> computer it is set back to 'NVidia nForce 2' (motherboard). Is this a
> flaw within Kubuntu? I have run Live CDs for Mandriva 2007 and Fedora
> Core 7, not to mention installing Linspire once, and they all configure
> my soundcard on-the-fly. Kubuntu continually leaves me without sound.
> Even Kopete, when I set all the sound notifications so I know when
> people are messaging me, quit giving sound on a reboot. What's up with
> that? How can I remedy this? I'm new to Linux and desire things to work
> the way they're supposed to. I'm enjoying Kubuntu (KDE for the most
> part) and would like very much to completely do away with Windows. Thank
> you for any help I can get.

It may be you need to configure alsa to load the other soundcard. Have you
tried this from Ubuntu Forums on multiple soundcards:

In a shell, type cat /proc/asound/modules

I have onboard Nvidia and a soundblaster soundcard and I get this

0 snd_emu10k1
1 snd_mpu401
2 snd_intel8x0

This will give the the name and index of each soundcard you have currently.
Make a note of the names, and decide which one you want to be the default
card.
Now type
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

At the very end of the file, add the following (assuming you have 3 cards with
module names A, B and C and you want to have them in the order CAB)

options snd-C index=0
options snd-A index=1
options snd-B index=2

The emu10k1 is the one I want to load so the last few lines of my alsa-base
looks like this:

# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
options snd-snd_emu10k1 index=-0
options snd-snd_mpu401 index=-1
options snd-intel8x0 index=-2

If you are still having problems with the wrong soundcard loading you may be
running Edgy. Try upgrading to Fesity. I found that in Edgy even with this
setup I had to reboot 4 or more times until it picked up the right soundcard.

RL-S