Bad fonts in GTK applications in Kubuntu 6.10

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Aug 2 23:37:19 BST 2007

On 2007/08/02 10:22 (GMT+0100) Basil Fowler apparently typed:

> I have an annoying, but not serious, problem with certain applications running
> in Kubuntu 6.10.

> The applications concerned are Electric Eyes, Alsaplayer, and Audacity. As I
> understand the matter, these applications use the GTK widget set.

> When I open any menu, the items are displayed in a large bitmapped
> Hevetica-type font (about 18 point), that is rather ugly. Previously, I have
> installed Electric Eyes in various versions of other distros (SuSE, Mandriva,
> Vector) and the appearance has always been clean and tidy, with the font
> being approximately 12 point with nicely rounded corners.

> I am sure that the cure is a matter of a simple adjustment somewhere, but
> what?

Sounds like you may be experiencing a DPI consistency problem.

1-What does 'xdpyinfo | grep resolution' report?
2-What does 'xrdb -query | grep dpi' report?
3-What if any DPI is set in gnome-control-center?
4-What is your screen resolution?
5-What is your display size?
6-What if any DPI is set in KDE Control Center?

You may find a solution via:
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-linux-about.html
--
"   It is impossible to rightly govern the world without
God and the Bible."                    George Washington

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409