Mounting CD ROM

sam mirshafie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 20:34:55 BST 2007

One way to browse a disc or removable drive in KDE is to open Konqueror and
type system:/ in the location bar. Hard drives, optical discs and USB drives
should show up under Storage Media. (In fact, when you open a new Konqueror
window, you should get a screen with a shortcut named Storage Media. That
works too. You can access that page by typing about:konqueror in the Location
bar.)

Since I use Konqueror for both file management and web browsing, I've set my
first tab to be a split tree view with three system:/ panes. You can split a
view horizontally with Ctrl+Shift+L. To keep this, configure KDE to
automatically save sessions in KControl, or save the session manually from
the K menu.

Many distributions automatically mount CDs nowadays. If you have to/want to
mount CDs by command line you might be interested in creating aliases. Just
add the following two lines to ~/bashrc
alias mountcd='sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom'
alias umountcd='sudo umount /dev/cdrom'

Sam