KDE and multihead - how to move a window from one monitor to another?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 24 16:13:01 BST 2007

> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 15:27, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> I just started using KDE with three monitors (aka multihead).
>>
>> The problem is, I can't find a way to move a window from one monitor to
>> another.
>>
>> In other words, everything behaves just like three separate KDE
>> sessions,
>> and not like one KDE session with three monitors.
>>
>> For example, when I start Firefox on monitor 1, I can't start it anymore
>> on monitor 2, because "Firefox is already running".
>>
>> How can I move a window from one monitor to another with multihead /
>> multiple monitors?
>

> I run triple head, ands have for a few years.
>
> Do you have Xinerama enabled?
>
> Its in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>  (example from my own)
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier  "Simple Layout"
>     Screen "Screen 1"
>     Screen "Screen 2" RightOf "Screen 1"
>     Screen "Screen 3" RightOf "Screen 2"
>     InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
>     InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
>     Option "Xinerama" "on"
>     Option "Clone" "off"
> EndSection

Indeed it does change something, but the result is even worse :(

1. Now, I can only work on screen 1. I can move a window to screen 2, but
after I want to maximize it, it maximizes to screen 1. When I want to move
a window on screen 2, I can't - it goes back to screen 1 once I want to
move it.
Not to say screen 3 is now totally unusable (accessible only by a mouse
pointer).

2. My first screen is rotated (by 90 degrees). With Xinerama enabled,
panel menu is shown somewhere in the middle of a screen, and there is no
way to move it to the bottom.

That's all with KDE 3.5.6.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski