KDE installation problems

Alejandro Exojo suy at kurly.org
Thu Sep 28 22:01:39 BST 2006

El Jueves, 28 de Septiembre de 2006 19:06, George Greenlee escribió:
> am running Debian 2.6.17-2-amd64 kernel. I recently tried to install kde
> but receive dependency errors. The error is :

>   kde: Depends: kdewebdev (>= 4:3.4.3) but it is not going to be installed.
> When i do an apt-cache search i see the actual package but it doesn't let
> me install it, and gives me this error:
>
>   kdewebdev: Depends: quanta (>= 4:3.4.3-2) but it is not installable
>              Depends: kfilereplace (>= 4:3.4.3-2) but it is not installable
>              Depends: kimagemapeditor (>= 4:3.4.3-2) but it is not
> installable Depends: klinkstatus (>= 4:3.4.3-2) but it is not installable
> Depends: kommander (>= 4:3.4.3-2) but it is not installable Depends:
> kxsldbg (>= 4:3.4.3-2) but it is not installable

This is because kdewebdev, is plattform independent, but the packages it
depends on are not. If kdewebdev was uploaded by a developer with a different
architecture than yours (say, the devel had amd64, and you have i386), you
have to wait until the build-daemons compile the package.

This was not very common when 95% (or more) of the developers/users where
running the same architecture, but this is not longer the case with the 32/64
bits desktop computers.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy at bulmalug.net