kpdf sending pdf links to bluefish

Russell Davie russelldavie at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 20 04:00:19 BST 2006

Hi All

This is my first post here in KDE, please be patient with a nOOb  ;-)

I am using kpdf to read pdf class notes.

When I click on a internal link in the pdf, kpdf sends the link to "bluefish" (html editor) which renders the raw code. So I can't use this to login and download the next file.

This still happens after changing the file association for pdf to kpdf. eg Kcontrol -> File Associations -> Application -> pdf and moved kpdf up preference order.

So I then remove "bluefish" via synaptic and restart kpdf and click on link to get error message "Service ']usr/share/applications/bluefish.desktop' is malformed."

So then I log out of the session and log back in and restart kpdf with the same file, do the same link and now Opera come up, but without the login screen for the server.  Better but no cigar.

Next, I delete Opera via synaptic, restart kpdf etc, and the link is now handled in a tab in firefox, hurrah!
However, if Opera and/or bluefish re reinstalled, then kpdf sends links to them, rather than firefox. :-(

So, to get kpdf to do what I want, ie send links to firefox, I can't have bluefish or Opera installed.

What am I missing here?
What handles link requests from kpdf?
is there another default association that is used in Linux?
I've looked in /etc/alternatives andd can't links to bluefish from there.
How can this be changed so it will go to an application that is more appropriate, ie firefox or another kpdf?

On the other hand Acroread, being the lumbering giant loves to take it's time and max out the cpu, does get the job done.

Using Linux: Ubuntu-Dapper

kpf version
kpdf/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu6
:~$ kpdf -version
Qt: 3.3.6
KDE: 3.5.2
KPDF: 0.5.2

KDE verions:
~$ apt-show-versions |grep kde
kdelibs4c2a/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu18.1
kdessh/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu8
kdelibs-data/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu18.1
kdebluetooth/dapper uptodate 0.99+1.0beta1-6ubuntu8
kdebase-data/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu27
liblockdev1/dapper uptodate 1.0.2-1
libkdepim1a/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu6
kdebase-bin/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu27
libkdeedu3/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu9
kdelibs-bin/dapper uptodate 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu18.1

TIA

green