Problem setting file associations (and other settings)

D Rager rageratwork at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 17:53:09 BST 2006

On 9/1/06, Philip Rodrigues <philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> D Rager wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm having problems setting default file associations and other
> > settings. I've tried to set the default application through the
> > Control Center or through the right click context menu, I get the
> > dialog that states it's updating system information and then no error
> > messages. It seems like it should have worked however, no settings
> > have actually changed.
>
> Run "kbuildsycoca" from a konsole, and paste the output. Perhaps it tells
> you what's going wrong.
>
> Regards,
> Philip
> --
> KDE Documentation Team: http://i18n.kde.org/doc
> KDE Documentation Online: http://docs.kde.org

Thank you for your response. Actually running kbuildsycoca failed the
first time. For some reason /var/tmp/kdecache-[user]/ksycoca was owned
by root. After I changed the permissions I was able to change file
associations, though briefly. I still ran into the same problem
shortly after. Digging around again, I found that
.kde/share/config/profilerc had to be recreated.

That seems to have partially fixed my problem. I can now change file
associations using keditfile and the control center applet. Also items
on the desktop stay put across sessions.

However, if I attempt to change the file association with the "Open
With|Other..." dialog and check the "Remember association..." box, the
setting does not remain. I see the updating settings dialog and
receive no error messages, yet the change does not take effect.

Here is the kbuildsycoca output:

kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service :
/opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kbarcode-label.desktop
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service :
/opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kbarcode-label.desktop
kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service :
/opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kbarcode-label.desktop
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: 'kbearimportfilter.desktop' specifies
undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KParts/Plugin'

I'm not sure what to make of these warnings yet. I'm pretty new with
kde so please bear with me. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.