Pledging money for features

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Fri Sep 1 19:11:37 BST 2006

Hi all!

It is an issue I have been thinking about for some time, and I'm curious
if it has been discussed amongst the developers before.

So, there is a feature I really want, and I have filed a wishlist bug
for it and all (Bug #107302, specifically), but of course, I fully
recognize that every developer has ideas of his own that he wants to
pursuit, that there isn't enough time to hack up every idea that comes
by and that it is probably best in the long run that whoever writes the
code gets to decide what to work on.

So, if my ideas are to be implemented, I have to be prepared to pay for
it too. Now, I live off a normal salary too, so a contract to pay the
total costs for a given feature is beyond my reach, but say that I
say "I pledge to pay €100 to whoever gets the feature in Bug #107302
into KDE". That's not a lot of money, but if the right guy sees that he
could probably do it in a reasonable amount of time after several
people have made similar pledges, then perhaps it could work?

Now, this introduces a lot more complexity in the social fabric of a
free software project. All kinds of things could happen: I might not
feel that the feature fulfilled my intention behind the request and
decide not to follow up my pledge, and the guy who then had spent the
time might feel cheated. We might both be content with the new feature,
but then, it might not make to the official branch. All this would
probably call for regulations and bureaucracy, and lawyers... *shrug*.
It would be a long discussion.

OTOH, it could help a lot more people making a decent living from
writing free software, so it might be worth thinking about. Have you
people thought about it?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer
kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/     OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC