re-pointing a Desktop link

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 2 12:08:42 BST 2006

Hi there,

| > Soft links or symbolic links, such as those that are created when
| > dragging a file and choosing to link it are not files that can be
| > ediited.
| This is the GUI equivalent to 'ln -s'. And AFAIK there are no means
| to change such a link once created.

That's most likely to be correct.  For example, on most (all?) Unix
systems, there's no system call to change the time stamp of a
symlink.  If called on a symlink, the system call changes the
timestap of the *target* of the symlink.  Likewise, similar problem
occurs when you try to change the owner or the permission of a
symlink.  I guess that the same applies to editing the contents
of a symlink; that is, I doubt there exist system calls to open
and to write to a symlink itself.

It's not that it's difficult to add such capabilities, but that
they aren't regarded as important enough.

Regards,
Ryo