new to Kubuntu

Marek Wawrzyczny marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 30 12:07:00 GMT 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 21:53, RNEvans wrote:
> Hi to all of you veteran users,
>
> following the LinuxWorld event at Olympia 2 last week, I saw a demo on
> Kubuntu and have installed it onto a spare desktop and I am more than
> pleased. However as I am new to Linux and Kubuntu I am already struggling.
> I want to install 2 programmes that I downloaded, AVG Anti Virus for Linux
> and Skype for Linux (Debian Version). They are sat on my desktop but I
> can't work out how to install them! Help.
>
> Secondly I am using Konqueror to access my webmail but when I open messages
> I just see two blank panes? Any suggestions, is this a simple setting that
> I can apply?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation and I have to admit I am VERY impressed with
> Kubuntu you are doing a great job.
>
> Roy

Hi Roy,

Your question is actually specific to Kubuntu not KDE, so you should really
check http://www.kubuntu.org.

You will probably want to read this section in particular:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/add-applications.html

KDE is just a desktop environment that Kubuntu is based on. The Kubuntu people
have written their own package/application installation/management system
that is completely separate from KDE. You will find that each distribution
uses a different package manager.

Hope this helps,

Marek Wawrzyczny