media:/ browsing and settings

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 09:20:44 BST 2006

On 18.10.2006 23:53, Bogus Zaba wrote:
> There was a thread called "**Mechanism that mounts USB flashdrives
> <http://lists.kde.org/?t=115507656300002&r=1&w=2>" **in the KDE-Linux
> forum which tried to answer this question a few months ago. IMHO it did

Thanks. I'll read that and see if it says anithing interesting.

> not get anywhere. Lots of people seem to know a bit about it but I have
> not found a really good explanation of the interactions between the
> basic fstab setup and all that the fancier tools do on top of it. From
> my experience, some of the problems you mention in your post might be to
> do with the need to do mount operations as root.

Mounting should be done as root, unless it is specified in the fstab file that
a user can mount some of the devices. However, if there is an entry in the
fstab file for that device, you can't override the settings in KDE's Media
Manager, since you are normally not root. If there is no such entry in fstab,
you can't mount the volume. So that's why I wonder what are these media
manager settings for? How can they take effect?
Maybe these are meant to work for removable devices only... To be honest I've
made some hacks in order to avoid the default "mountpoint-as-label" behavior,
and maybe by doing so (modifying some of the hal's fdi rules) I have broken
some of the media manager's functionality (for example, my optical drives are
not mounted automatically upon insert, but rather when I try accessing them
with KDE).
If anyone else has some ideas, please share those!

--
Blade hails you...

From cradle to coffin
Shall my wickedness be your passion