media:/ browsing and settings

Bogus Zaba b.zaba at britishlibrary.net
Wed Oct 18 21:53:58 BST 2006

Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all my question is just out of curiosity.
>
> I have this question:
>
> What exactly is the purpose of the media manager?
> I have all mount points for all (not)removable devices I use set up
> in /etc/fstab.
> I tried the following:
> 1) Remove fstab's entry for one of my hard drives
> 2) Use media:/ browser and select Properties of that hard drive
> 3) set up mount options and mount point there
>
> When I try to mount it with KDE, I get a 'permission denied' error each time.
>
> Another thing is that all my removable drives have their mounting tab in
> Properties disabled.
>
> I am just curious, what am I supposed to accomplish with the media manager?
> How do it's settings (stored in ~/.kde/share/config/mediamanagerrc) take
> effect?
>
> If, let's say, I don't know anything about /etc/fstab how am I supposed to
> mount a drive, using media manager and it's settings?
>
> If anyone has a minute to cast light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks.

There was a thread called "**Mechanism that mounts USB flashdrives
<http://lists.kde.org/?t=115507656300002&r=1&w=2>" **in the KDE-Linux
forum which tried to answer this question a few months ago. IMHO it did
not get anywhere. Lots of people seem to know a bit about it but I have
not found a really good explanation of the interactions between the
basic fstab setup and all that the fancier tools do on top of it. From
my experience, some of the problems you mention in your post might be to
do with the need to do mount operations as root.

Bogus