Kmail spam filtering - Help and a note for kde developers.

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Sun Nov 26 13:28:49 GMT 2006

On Sunday 26 November 2006 04:38, John wrote:
> I thought that might be the case but where is the documentation? It might
> tempt me to upgrade.
>
> On this general subject it should be fairly easy for a knowledgeable person
> to write a shell script to do this sort of thing but novices do not stand
> much chance. Showing my age - my first program written in the late 60's was
> in dartmouth basic using a paper tape and a teletype. That language is the
> most concise, complete, easily understood set of instructions ever
> invented. Later prior to the pc it was extended to include file systems,
> simple formatted output and some structured constructs such as whiles and
> case statements etc and run on small low powered desk top micro's eg Z80
> and 6500 etc. Some of the basics were even user extendable all in 8kbytes
> or less-True programming for the masses. Rather than specific scripts for
> kmail as indicated here wouldn't a kde wide scripting language based on
> that be a more sensible and generally more useful path to follow? Ok line
> numbers and goto's are old hat but are on the other hand very easy to use
> and can be understood by anybody. Following on from that Microshaft did
> gwbasic. Again easily understood and capable of handling graphics. That
> might eventually also be a useful further step in the right direction. The
> linux scripts I'm aware of remind me of what I used to do with KED and
> batch files on a dos box. A few letters to do what ever it was I wanted to
> do. Productive but not easily understood by others.
>
> John

KOffice has used a multi-scripting language extension called kross for it's
extensibility. For KDE4 it looks like that will be made more desktop wide.
This way if a plug-in for kross exists for BASIC, you can write scripts in
basic. For now it supports ECMAScript and Python.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net