Temp font files in /home/user directory

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Nov 16 16:06:57 GMT 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 14:54, Cathal O'Brien wrote:
> On 15/11/06, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > I'm a bit puzzled by many TMP font files in my /home/user directory.
> > These are
> > hidden files, and appear to be empty, or almost empty. For example, there
> > is
> > one file named .fonts.cache-1. This contains 26.8KB of data. Next I
> > have .fonts.cache-1.TMP-0mWg8b, which contains 6B, and inside the file is
> > number (17031). The next file is .fonts.cache-1.TMP-3wah8b, and contains
> > 0B.
> > There are 28 of these TMP files on one of my FC2 installs. the only other
> > fonts file after all the temp ones, is one named .fonts.conf (110B).
> >
> > Anyone know why these empty TMP files arn't being deleted when logging
> > out or
> > shutting down the machine?
> >
> > Distro: FC2
> > KDE version: 3.2.2-14.FC2.legacy Red Hat
> > Konqueror version: 3.2.2-8.FC2 Red Hat
> >
> > Nigel.

> I think its to help load times, obviously increase the performance of apps
> like The Gimp. Even if you delete these files Im preety sure their replaced
> as soon as you open certain applications that use them.

Thanks for the explanation. I had removed a bunch of them a while back, and
they did return. There are a load of entries in .fonts.cache-1 on the one
machine. Mainly for Wine, and Tv-fonts, but I have also used The Gimp on this
machine for working with icons.

These TMP font files, are obviously nothing to be concerned about then.

Thanks again.

Nigel.