exe files

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 16:13:06 GMT 2006

Welcome to Linux!

It is very helpful to remember this essential difference between Windows and
Linux:

In Windows everything is permitted unless explicitly forbidden;
In Linux everything is forbidden unless explicitly permitted.

This rule may seem a drag, but it is the key to Linux's resistance to viruses
etc.  If you are running as an ordinary user (and you should), you will be
forbidden to install any software except in your home directory. You have to
take root privileges before you can install any software in the directories
designated for programs.

Remember that Linux is designed from the outset as a multi-user system. If you
are administering such a system, you do not want to allow all and sundry to
install programs willy-nilly wherever and whenever it might take their fancy.
Linux has line upon line of defences built in against unauthorised
modifications, and unfortunately, this makes installation of legitimate
programs a little more involved.

The philosophy may not seem obviously user-friendly, but unfortunately it is
essential in today's world where attacks, malware etc. are ever present. If
you disagree, I would ask you what is user-friendly about having to
continually guard against viruses, malware and other attacks?

Please invest in one of the many books on Linux for beginners if you have not
already done so.  You have taken a good first step in asking for help.  You
have much to learn; most of the hard work is forgetting what you have learnt
from Windows.

I would advise you to become familiar with the native Linux system before you
try to run Windows programs.  As for me, I have some old 32 and 16 bit
Windows programs that I need to run from time to time.  To do so I have used
the proprietary program Win4Lin for some years.  This allows me to run
Windows as an application within Linux, so I have the best of both worlds.

Good luck.

Basil