exe files

kdelist at privatepanic.de kdelist at privatepanic.de
Thu Nov 9 11:27:42 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 02:20:57PM -0500, Mike Goral wrote:
> Just installed this operating system and am slowly learning.  One thing that
> puzzles me is when I download an installation program to the desktop, I
> can't figure out how to execute it.  For instance, if I download a media
> player, I'll get an icon on my desktop for an exe program to install the
> player.  In Windows, I would just double click this and it would run to
> install the program.  This doesn't work on this operating system and I'm
> stumped.  BTW, only very modestly computer literate.  .  Thanks in advance
> for any help.

Hi Mike G,

short answer:

you simply cannot run Windows programs (exe files) on linux.

long answer:

there are tools to run specific (not all!) windows programs on unixes,
the most common ones are wine, winex, cedega, crossover-office (all
kind of variations of the same, actually); or you could run a virtual
windows machine using vmware or the like. Some of these keywords should
get you further when typed into a search engine on the web ;)

cheers,
Tim