konqueror problems

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Fri Nov 3 15:35:30 GMT 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 08:52, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 09:57, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Friday 03 November 2006 09:43, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> > > 3) I enter the path to my own java env in the java config window, but
> > > still some sites (presumably depending a lot on java) do not work (e.g.
> > > google calender) saying that the browser is not supported (I use
> > > default identification). I saw the java HowTo on kde.org, but it didnt
> > > shed any light. What's happening?
> >
> > Are you sure this is Java and not JavaScript related?
> >
> > Because in the second case I remember that some of the Google webapps had
> > broken browser detection a while ago and would only work when changing
> > the user agent identification, however I thought Google developers have
> > already fixed it.
> >
> > If it is indeed a Java problem, there could be some information in the
> > Java console, which can shown by clicking on the "Duke" icon (Java
> > mascot, a triangular toon character)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Hi Kevin. I'm having similar problems with Konqueror not loading Java
> applets. I've put the javaconsole output below in case it throws any light
> on the problem. This is using Sun's JRE 1.5.0_06, and also JRE 1.5.0_09.
>
> This is one I'm having a problem with.
>  http://www.itautrade.com.br
>
>  And this is the output from the javaconsole as it tries to load the
> applets. Only one of them loads,(a stock ticker), the other one (a graph)
> says it's loading, but then brings up the Portuguese for system failure.
>
>  01/11/06 12:07:17 [HPGR3] init
>  01/11/06 12:07:17 [HPTI3] init
>  run falha: false java.lang.NullPointerException
>  01/11/06 12:07:25 [HPGR3] run finalizado
>  01/11/06 12:07:25 [HPTI3] start
>  Refresh : https://ww51.itau.com.br/pegabds/Tic...at&NomeAtivo=1
>  Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
>  at HP3.HPTI3.update(Unknown Source)
>  at sun.awt.RepaintArea.updateComponent(Unknown Source)
>  at sun.awt.X11.XRepaintArea.updateComponent(Unknown Source)
>  at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(Unknown Source)
>  at sun.awt.X11.XComponentPeer.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
>  at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
>  01/11/06 12:07:25 [HPTI3] run
>

>  The other one that won't load in Konqueror is the shell to access the
> Smoothwall through the web interface. The output from the javaconsole for
> this one is below.
>
>  Error during state 1
>  Backtrace:
> [...]

This is because the applets you are trying to run are built with another
version of Java. In FF, it uses its own internal Java plug-in that marshalls
the applet to the correct VM version for the applet. The Exception you are
getting is proof that the applet you are running doesn't like the
incompatible version of JVM. This has bit me more than a few times here with
a few sites I've had to work with.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net