KMail + Gnubiff

T E Schmitz mailreg at numerixtechnology.de
Fri Nov 3 13:24:36 GMT 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 November 2006 19:02, T E Schmitz wrote:
>
>>I am currently using Thunderbird and Gnubiff as a mail notifier. I'd
>>like to switch to KMail but noticed that KMail does not handle deletions
>>in the same way:
>>
>>Gnubiff lives on the Gnome panel. It is set to watche my IMAP mailbox
>>and displays new emails in a pop-up. When a message is deleted in
>>Thunderbird, it will not be listed by Gnubiff next time it refreshes.
>>
>>If I delete the message in KMail, or Evolution for that matter, Gnubiff
>>will continue to show this message as new mail. That means I would have
>>manually to mark the Gnubiff mailbox as 'read'.
>>

> I think the mails are get marked as "unread" when the folder is compacted.
> Unfortunately only "compat all folders" is exported in KMail's DCOP interface,
> so depending how long this usually takes, you could have a script/cron job
> call this method regularily.
>
> $ dcop kmail KMailIface compactAllFolders

I checked the IMAP files on the server:
when a message is deleted with Thunderbird, the file name changes to ....,ST
when a message is deleted with KMail, the file name changes to ....,T
when a message is read, the file name changes to ....,S

(Strangely, messages not read but deleted by Thunderbird, are still
displayed as "unread" by both email clients?!)

I tried compacting as you suggested but it had no effect.

Just as Gnubiff does not register KMail deletions of unread messages,
the KMail notifier and icon continue to count them as unread.
Technically, this might be correct, but from a user point of view this
is nonsense. Should I file this as a bug?

--

Regards,

Tarlika