arts and alsa

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Mar 31 23:37:38 BST 2006

Rick Miles wrote:
> Kevin Krammer is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
>
>> On Thursday 23 March 2006 20:07, Rick Miles wrote:
>>> Can anyone point me in the direction of some info on turning off arts and
>>> running alsa with kde?
>> Arts can use ALSA as one of its audiosystems,
> Does this mean that arts is using alsa to provide sound?

There are two Kernel sound driver systems OSS is the old one and ALSA is
the new one.  So if you have the 2.6.x Kernel, you are probably using
ALSA.  You do have an issue however, that is how do you have an app use
the sound driver directly without going through aRts.

In the Control Center, go to:

	Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System

On the "General" tab at the bottom of the page you should find a check
box: "Auto-suspend if idle after".  Check this box and set it to "1
seconds" [sic].  NOTE: there is a bug in this so DO NOT set it to "0
seconds" as this is the same as not checking the box.

Now as long as you don't try to use an app with aRts and an app direct
at the same time, things should work.

>> so from ALSA's point of view
>> Arts should look like one of its applications.
> Does this mean alsa is being supplied sound by by an application called arts?

Yes, the output of aRts probably goes through ALSA.

> I'd just like to know why I can't access input devices in audacity unless I
> kill all arts pids or run audacity with the command "artsdsp -m audacity"

If you set the above in the CC, it should work.

--
JRT