Tool for warning user that partition is almost full?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Mar 23 17:46:34 GMT 2006

On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:54, Anders Storsveen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 March 2006 12:18, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> >> Is there a KDE tool that monitors disk space and that warns the user if
> >> a partition reaches a certain fill state?
> >
> > Hi Felix. I normally use Kdisk free, which is on the "System" menu. It
> > shows the state of discs with a graph, and I've just looked in the help
> > file for it, and see there, that there is also a setting, under "General
> > Settings" for an alert window to pop up, if a disc gets critically full.
>
> I've used it for a while too, but it doesnt work :/ I've ran out of
> space without warning lots of times... Luckily I usually have an open
> terminal, or i'd be f*cked.

Hi Again Anders. I don't know it you want to continue this discussion. Please
let me know. I've had another look at Kdiskfree. I've trying loading up a
small partition until it redlines. Ksdiskfree's warning does work, but only
if you have it open on the desktop, or minimized to the panel. This isn't a
great deal of help, but I suppose just leaving it minimized isn't a big deal
when you logout, and shutdown, and is just taking up a bit of panel space,
and a few CPU cycles.

Also you only get the one warning message when Kdiskfree changes from a
greenline to a redline. Logging out and back in, gives no further warnings,
and adding more data to the overfilled drive gives no further warning. Same
goes if you logout, shutdown, and reboot. You either fix it when you get the
warning or take the consequences.

I'm also having a look at K System Guard. System Notifications shows a line
for K System Guard, showing "Sensor exceeded critical limit" , and will
display a messagebox. Again you possibly have to have K System Guard open on
the desktop for this to work, but the help pages say that it can also be run
in daemon mode. I presume by this that it will always be running in the
background. Perhaps running it this way will display warning message boxes.
There are some caveats though for running K System Guard in daemon mode. I'll
play around with it this evening.

It's not nice redlining, and have on;y had this happen once on my Gentoo
install. Emerge puts a large ammount of data in the archives, and it doesn't
take long to achieve state critical.

The Kdiskfree critical warning experiment was carried out on FC2, and using
KDE 3.3.2-14.FC2.

Nigel.