kmail fails to send mail

jeff grant kubin3 at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 18:36:56 GMT 2006

kitts at hotpop.com wrote:
> For about a week know i am faced with the following error:
>

>> Sending failed:
>> Could not connect to host smtp.hotpop.com.
>> The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the
>> problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox'
>> folder. The following transport protocol was used:
>> HotPOP
>>

> I am however, able to send mail from my GMail account. I am not sure what
> the problem is... can anyone help? I am currently being forced to send mail
>
> on this id using a webservice such as mail2web.
> --
> Cheers!
> kitts
>
> -
Being as new to Linux as I am I'm a bit wary of posting technical
advice! However, when I was setting up Kmail with AOL I kept getting the
same message. After a lot of playing around I found the answer in the
port I was using to send mail (also an SMTP server) - I had to set it to
587, and not the default port; and in getting the right combination in
the 'Security' settings. There's not much point I guess in my telling
you what they were, because they're unlikely to be relevant to your ISP.
I had no idea what AOL required - and clicking on 'Check what the server
requires' gave the wrong answer anyway, so I just had to play around
with the combinations until I got one that worked.

You may have tried all that, but if not it may be of some help.

Jeff in London UK

--
Jeff Grant

London UK