Opening tar.gz files with tar ioslave

Ainsley Pereira kde at pebble.org.uk
Mon Jun 5 09:52:46 BST 2006

Hi all,

I have 2 different systems, each running KDE. One is compiled from
source, the other a kubuntu dapper install. On the kubuntu system, if I
click on a tar.gz file in konqueror, it opens in a new ark window,
whereas on my other machine, it browses right into it as if it were just
another directory, using the tar:/file URL.

I've looked at all the configuration for the application/x-tgz mimetype,
but I can't see how to make the kubuntu system use the tar ioslave like
my other system does. I can manually enter the tar: URL, and that works,
but I'd like it to just work like it does on the other machine.

This same behaviour seems to occur at least with 3.5.2 and 3.5.3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ainsley