konqueror khtml default background-color

Robin Atwood robin.atwood at attglobal.net
Fri Jun 2 16:18:29 BST 2006

On Thursday 01 June 2006 21:06, Walter Weber-Groß wrote:
> Hallo Yanis Kekatos,
>
> > I've noticed that when I change the KDE theme/colors the default
> > background-color of Konqueror  (khtml part) changes (to grey i.e.)
> > too.
> > I think that that this is a bad choice because a lot web sites don't
> > define the background-color but it's expected that is white.
> That's the point: A lot of web designers don't define the background color -
> but they should. The w3c recommends to define both foreground and background
> color - such simple.
>
> > The result is that these sites are displayed with different background
> > color than the one their designer had in mind.
> If the designer would have had a color in mind he would have defined this
> color.
> >
> > I just wanted to know what is your point of view before I file a bug
> > report.
> From my point of view, it's not a bug in Konqueror but in web design.
> So it should be fixed there.
>
> Regards, and thank you for mentioning this important and so easy to solve
> topic!

This is especially a problem if you use a light-on-dark colour scheme, many pages
become illegible (black text of dark background). This is indeed a fault of the web page
designer but can be circumvented by a user css file. I use the following:

opal ~ # cat user.css

body {
  background-color: white;
  color: black;
}

INPUT {
  background-color: #E1E7FD;
  color: black;
}

BUTTON {
  color: white;
}

TEXTAREA {
        color: black;
        background-color: white;
        font-size: normal;
        font-family: monospace;
        margin: 0__qem;
}

SELECT {
        font-family: sans-serif;
        font-size: small;
        color: black;
        background-color: white;
        margin: 0__qem;
}

INPUT[type="submit"], INPUT[type="reset"], INPUT[type="button"] {
        color: black;
        background-color: #E1E7FD;

}
opal ~ #

and you specify it in KCC->Web Browser->Style Sheets.

HTH
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling