Kmail and spam filtering

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jul 29 15:59:56 BST 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 16:32, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Sat July 29 2006 09:59, Nigel Henry wrote:
> >  On Friday 28 July 2006 18:26, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> >  > On Friday 28 July 2006 18.08, Nigel Henry wrote:
> >  > > Hi Thierry. Yes that's what I mean. I'm getting the odd bit of Ham
> >  > > turning up in the spam directory.
> >  >
> >  > Hi Nigel,
> >  >
> >  > I never had this but now I'm using the old version. You're probably
> >  > right about "unsure". I guess that's what you've done, but I would put
> >  > those false positives in the "ham" directory (whatever it is called
> >  > now) so that bogofilter learns they are good.
> >  >
> >  > I never bothered to look what the ruels are that bogofilter uses so
> >  > it's hard to imagine whatcaused the error.
> >  > Thierry
> >
> >  Hi Thierry.
> >
> >  Problem solved, by a bit more logical thinking.
>
> Question if I may,  is this program better then SpamAssassin?
>
> If yes in what why or how is it better?
>
> Thnx

I havn't used SpamAssassin yet, so can't really comment about it.  Bogofilter
1.0.2 seems to be working very well though. With a database of just over 200
Spam, and NonSpam, I'm getting hardly any mail in the unsure box, and don't
expect to get any false positives in the spam box, or false negatives in the
inbox. Anything suspect, I believe will turn up in the unsure box for me to
look at.

I have seen posts of folks using both SpamAssassin first, followed by a Bayes
filter like Bogofilter, but personally I don't think I need to do that as
Bogofilter is doing a good job.  All the same I may try setting up
SpamAssassin with Kmail, just for the experience.

Bear in mind, I've only been using Bogofilter for a few days, and the database
is still quite small, so time will tell how good it really is.

Nigel.