kmail - sending profile preference

Bob Stia rnr at sanctum.com
Wed Jul 26 03:47:38 BST 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 20:12, David Corbin wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 03:23, Bob Stia wrote:
> > I am not quite sure what you are saying here, but if you send a mail
> > while in that particular mailing list environment, it changes your
> > "identity" automatically so it is sent with the proper identity and will
> > not bounce.
>
> I don't know what it means to be in a "mailing list environment".

Being in the mail folder that holds a mailing list.

Do you have Kmail filtering the mailing list traffic to a specific folder? And
have you specified that folder as containing a mailing list?  Ex: I have a
KDElist folder and any mail coming in with the kde at mail.kde.org header gets
put into that folder where I can read it, reply to it etc. and K mail knows
to supply the correct identity, address, and subject (in the case of a reply)
when I send it. This is quick and easy. K mail fills in the header for you.
No other intervention needed.

> > If you just send a brand new message in general, and put in the mailing
> > list address, click on the identity drop down list and make sure the
> > proper subscribed "identity" is sending it.
>
> I understand how I *can* do it.  I suggesting an improvement. The way
> mailing lists tend to operate, all mail to the list should come from one
> email (identity).  It should not matter how I create the email, or
> what 'environment' it should come from that email.

Kmail has no way of knowing what your intentions may be. If you have several
mailing lists subscribed to by different "identities" and you are in that
folder then kmail knows what identity should send it. Even if all of your
mail lists are subscribed to by the same person that would still hold true.
If it is not done automatically through that method then you must choose
which identity should send it.  If all of your mail is to and from lists make
that sender "identity" the default one.

Really hope this helps.

Bob S.