USB Stick with files with Umlauts

Sebastian Reitenbach reitenbach at rapideye.de
Fri Jul 21 16:23:36 BST 2006

Hi,

I here have a SuSE 9.3, running KDE 3.5.3. I have a USB stick, with vfat
filesystem. When I create files on windows on it, containing umlauts in their
name, and then mount it to the SuSE box, I am unable to access these files
containing umlauts. I have these "empty boxes" in the file name, replacing the
umlauts. I can access folders with umlauts, but not e.g. click on a document,
to open it, OpenOffice says it is unable to find the file, where OpenOffice is
generally right, because there is no file with these "empty boxes" in the
filename.
I can rename the file on the console, but thats a bit cumbersome.
Is there a way to allow me to click on such a file as any other file?

kind regards
Sebastian