[kde-freebsd] Problems Starting KDE (3.5.3 on FreeBSD 6.1)

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 18:27:01 BST 2006

Sean M. wrote:
>> What happens when you try to start X as a non-root user?
>
> Exactly what I described in the second sentence

I see. I misread what you meant in your original mail. I don't really have
any definite ideas, but here are some general troubleshooting tips that
might help you isolate the problem:

* KDE only starting as root sounds like a permissions problem. Do you
perhaps lack write permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp? Or maybe there are
files in ~ that aren't writable by the user?

* Start X as a non-root user. In an xterm (or whatever) in that X session,
try starting a KDE app. What output does it give?

* Try starting KDE with a newly-created user. Does it work?

Regards,
Philip