font in qt is square for all

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jul 21 02:22:45 BST 2006

Constantin Velásquez Guerino wrote:
> Hello! I've just compiled  Qt-3.3.6 and KDE and all programs using QT
> (qt demos from source, kde, kile, etc) aren't finding a usable font or
> something like that because every single symbol is just square in
> every widget, except in the title which is responsabilitie from the
> WM. The weird thing of all this is that QT demos worked the first
> time, but then I compiled kdelibs... and the problem appeared (I
> didn't test the QT demos but I don't think it could be problem of
> kdelibs compiling). Anyway QT doesn't output any error messages
> (excepting "locale not supported" which is problem
> from Xlib and I'm trying to fix it).

Locale not supported is not good.  On most Linux systems this is set
with a script in: "/etc/profile.d/".  This is not set in X it is set for
the System.  Your distro may have an applet to set this.

You also need FontConfig set up correctly.

Open a Konsole and: "su -" {enter root password}

then run:

	fc-cache -f -v

and see if it lists all of your (global) font directories and finds
fonts in them.

If you have installed fonts in your $HOME directory tree:

	exit
	fc-cache -f -v

If FontConfig doesn't find a font, then KDE will not use it.

In the Control Center go to:

	Appearance & Themes -> Fonts

and be sure that you have selected fonts that exist.

--
JRT