usb disk icon not showing at startup

Clinton E. Troutman clint.troutman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 19 01:11:09 BST 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 18:07, R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> If I log in (desktop icon not appearing) and then plug in a second usb
> storage device, the new device appears on the desktop, as well as my
> first usb storage device.
>
> This may just be a kind of 'refresh' issue, but I'd like to know if
> someone else ran accross this kind of behaviour.
>
> btw, I'm running 'kde 3.5.3-0.4.fc5 Fedora-Core' on ... fc5
> (obviously :p)

I have much the same issue using 'kde 3.5.3-4.1.fc5.kde'

I have 2 mounted permanent drives, 2 unmounted permanent drives, and a host
of USB device readers, a CD drive and a DVD drive and a floppy drive.
All of these are designated to be displayed on the desktop whether mounted
or not.

At boot / start, KDE displays no drives on the desktop regardless of what
permanent or temporary media is loaded at the time.
When I insert a temporary media into any USB device or CD or DVD, all
mounted and unmounted media icons appear on the desktop.
If I then eject the temporary media, all mounted and unmounted drives remain
on the desktop.

If the above is not explanatory enough, let me know (I'm a bit short on time
at this precise moment...)

Thanks,
--
Clinton E. Troutman