Is Kooka still being developed

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Jul 16 00:04:24 BST 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 22:32, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
> is the scan application kooka still being developed? I have asked the
> developer but he did not answer? Is it worth to file bug reports/wishlist
> items? How could recommend another good scaning application for KDE/sane?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Florian

Don't think so, there hasn't been any real SVN updates for ages, possibly not
since mid-2004 at best, or even mid-2003.  If it is a serious bug, like
security related or hardware damaging, then do file it with the appropriate
level set and someone else in Kdegraphics will get around to it.  If its just
a normal bug or a wishlist then file it but don;t hold your breath.

I've never used Kooka much, I always found it lacking in features on the
actual scanning side, it doesn't support all the abilities of Sane or my
scanner, and I was annoyed at the gui and gallery features that just got in
the way.  Really, Kooka is just a gallery wrapper around libkscan which
provides the scanning services and which many apps like DigiKam call to do
the scanning for them.

I've always just used XSane instead, it gives you all the features available
in Sane and lots of the advanced scanning features like a batch function,
albeit in a crummy gtk interface, but at least you can set it to use
kprinter.

There is QuiteInsane, which is basically XSane done in Qt and with some KDE
support as a compile time option, but the author abandoned it a few years ago
supposedly for fear of software patents.  You can still download it from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quiteinsane or your distro may have a package
for it.

I think we need someone to find someone to beef up libkscan to fully support
Sane, add in the missing scanning features and make the dialogs more user
friendly, then leave the rest to the excellent image gallery, image editing
and fax programs we already have.  Kooka could then be replaced with a very
simple program that would basically have 3 buttons: 1 for Scan to File (with
batch scan functionality), 1 for Copy/Print, and 1 for OCR to File.  Kopier
in KDE4, anyone? :-)

John.