cant get german language

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jul 9 17:00:21 BST 2006

Walther Koehler wrote:

> After clean up of my system, KDE 3.3.2 is speaking English only.
>
> I tried to reinstall kde-i18n-de, no effect.
>
> Calling Control Center / Country/Region & Language
> KDE offers Country: Germany (among others).
>
> However "Languages: US English" only.
>
> The box "Add Languages" let one select "german", klicking on it gives no
> response whatsoever.
>
> What should I do?

Does the file $KDEDIR/share/locale/de/entry.desktop exist? (I think this is
the file that tells KDE that the German translation is installed) If not,
then presumably your installation is somehow broken - you might like to ask
in one of your distribution's support forums about how to check that you've
installed the package that provides this file, and that it has installed
correctly.

(Useful tip: if $KDEDIR isn't set, you can find its value [ie, where KDE is
installed] with the command kde-config --prefix).

Regards,
Philip