unmount usb mounted device

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Jul 7 21:34:06 BST 2006

Am Dienstag, 27. Juni 2006 20:45 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> Am Montag, 26. Juni 2006 08:06 schrieb Martin (KDE):

And again a reply to myself

> > Hallo,
> >
> > I have discovered a realy strange thing this weekend. If I plug
> > in a usb stick, a usb-stick symbol pops up at my desktop. With
> > the latest dbus/hal stuff there is no entry in the fstab (that is
> > ok afaik). I can mount this usb device with no problem.
> >
> > If I want to unmount this device I get no error message. There is
> > something going on (the cpu load is high for about three seconds)
> > but nothing happens. The usb devise keep being mounted. I have to
> > login as root to unmount the device.
> >
> > With the older hal versions there was a tool to update the fstab
> > (fstab-sync), but this tool is remove in current versions. Am I
> > missing something fundamental?
>
> another rply to myself:
>
> I did an update to the eject program and now the eject to my ipod
> is working again (the ipod icon on my desktop is vanishing) and the
> "do not disconnect" messate at my ipod is leaving. This works only
> as root.
>
> for users this does not work. With current hal there is no entry in
> the fstab, so normal users are not allowed to exit those
> partitions. Are there other solutions than changeing the kdeeject
> script (add sudo to the eject call).

So adding sudo to the kdeeject file was no satisfying solution, I took
the source code and did some readings. Finally I found the media kio
slave in kdebase. A little reading in hal and dbus and the
halbackend.cpp I tried to code myself. today I got it working. May be
this is of some interest to someone. I attached the patch to svn KDE
3.5 branch (branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/kioslave/media) from about
beginnig of july.

> > KDE 3.5.3 (from cvs from last friday)
> > hal 0.5.7
> > dbus 0.62