Questions after 3.5 Upgrade on Fedora

Dave McDonald drmcdona at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 14:19:29 GMT 2006

Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Dave McDonald wrote:
>

>> I upgraded my KDE from the distributed Fedora Core 4 version to 3.5 and
>> I am having some confusion about setting settings, menus, etc. I'm not
>> sure if this is related to Fedora sharing menu items between KDE and
>> Gnome, but I can't find answers to the following questions:
>>
>> 1. When I try to launch the menu editor from the context menu on the "K"
>> icon, nothing happens - I can start the application from the terminal
>> command line.
>>

> Bizarre. Can you start it from K menu -> Settings -> Menu Editor?

When I tried this, I didn't have any Settings menu......

Thinking that this may have been a symptom of something worse, I went
back and checked the installed RPM's that YUM had put in - I have
multiple versions of some kde modules (like the kdelibs, kdebase,
kdeutils) ending with .FC4 or .FC4.kde. Rather than trying to puzzle
this out, I plan to remove everything and re-install with one consistent
set of code. I will also check the admin guide and follow your
suggestions below about the .local and .config directories.

One last thing, the kicker doc for "Special Buttons" is here ...

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/kicker/basics.html#adding-special-icons

Thanks for your help.

Dave