Moving mail over to kmail 1.8.2

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jan 28 23:39:26 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 22:33, John_82 at tiscali.co.uk wrote:
> Hi
> Well I copied all of my mail to a cd (cur directory) and then placed them
> in the correct place on the new installation fired up kmail and thought
> great as they all seemed to be there - clicked on one and lo - it changed
> to "no subject" etc.
> What have I done wrong please? I still have my previous installation on
> other discs.

The safest way to move mails is to use an archive, for example tar

~$ tar cvjf mails.tar.bz2 Mail/

move the archive and the

~& tar xvjf mails.tar.bz2

This way user and group IDs are set correctly and no hidden files are missing.

If one moves from a KMail from KDE < 3.4 to a KMail from KDE >= 3.4 it is
important to restore the mail folder before running KMail the first time (or
after deleting kmailrc) so KMail detects the "old" folder and sets up the
configuration entry for it.

Cheers,
Kevin

--