Setting up Kbear using fish

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jan 28 21:05:21 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 14:16, SOTL wrote:
> On Friday 27 January 2006 05:20 pm, you wrote:
> > On Friday 27 January 2006 21:59, SOTL wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I am trying to set up fish using Kbear.
> > >
> > > I have fish working using Konqueror and I can transfer files between
> > > two computers located at 192.168.1.101 &.103 by using fish and
> > > Konqueror.
> > >
> > > I can not transfer files betweed the same two computers using fish in
> > > Kbear thus I am assuming that I do not have Kbear configured correctly.
> > > I do not have an ftp server on the system and do not believe on is
> > > necessary if one can transfer files by means of Konqueror but this has
> > > been suggested as a source of the problem so I will mention it but I do
> > > not believe that this idea is correct.
> > >
> > > I do not have a copy of a How-to for Kbear and do not know where to get
> > > one. A How-to would be nice.
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > SOTL
> >
> > Hi SOTL. Fish uses SSH.
>
> I can SSH to the other machine.
>
> I can connect to the other machine by entering:
> fish://192.168.1.103 as the URL in Konqueror.
>
> I can not connect to the other machine by Kbear.
>
> > When you connect to another machine for the first
> > time, a key is created in /home/user-name/.ssh/known_hosts. I have had
> > problems with this. I have many distro's on one of my two machines. Some
> > had the same IP address. I wondered why I had problems connecting to
> > distro's with the same IP address, until I discovered this file. Now I
> > have made sure to have unique addresses for all the distro's that run on
> > this machine. I wonder if, as your use of Konqueror using Fish to connect
> > to the other machine has created a key which is is specific to using
> > Konqueror. I would suggest removing the key in
> > /home/user-name/.ssh/known_hosts, then trying to connect with Kbear. If
> > this doesn't work. Using Konqueror, fish directed to the other machine,
> > will simply create a new key, and you should be able to access the other
> > machine again from Konqueror.
> >
> > Incidentally, I don't have Kbear. Where did you find it?
>
> The issue involves connecting to the other box using fish and Kbear.
>
> As for Kbear:
> I do have Kbear's ftp connection working.
> I do not have Kbear's fish connection working and that is where the issue
> is.
>
> When you install your distribution assuming we are speaking of Red Hat
> [Fedora], SuSE [OpenSuSE, or Mandriva [OpenMandriva] go to the section
> where you choose packages and install ALL of KDE. You definitely need to do
> this on install as KDE has a nasty habit of not working correctly if
> packages are added late. Sometines it works,, some times not.
>
> > Nigel.
> >
> > ps: I'm on FC2 at the moment.

Hi SOTL. Couldn't find Kbear on Fedora, but got it on Debian Sarge. As you say
it works ok using ftp, but whatever I try I can't get it to use fish either.
I have Konqueror using fish, so deleted the RSA key
in /home/user_name/.ssh/known_hosts on the machine that I have Kbear on. Then
on Kbear I entered the IPaddress of the other machine I wanted to access,
selected the fish protocol, with login name , and password, and path to the
directory I wanted to access. This then created a new RSA key. So far so
good. But then got a refusal to connect. Either the fish protocol just don't
work on Kbear, or we are doing something wrong. I think the best tactic is to
contact the Kbear developer, as nothing else is coming back off of the list.
Either I can contact him, or you, or perhaps both of us, to put on the
pressure. Annoying isn't it. Nigel.