Newbie question - Security Patch

Christian Mueller cmueller at gmx.de
Sat Jan 21 12:33:09 GMT 2006

Am Samstag, 21. Januar 2006 13:11 schrieb yankeemcc:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm new to the list and to KDE.  I saw the security advisory on the
>   Konqueror heap overflow yesterday and folowed the instructions to get
>   the patch.  Unfortunately I do not understand how to apply a
>   ".diff" file.  And I couldn't find any guidence in the documentation.
>
>  Could someone point me in the right direction on how to apply this
>  kind of security patch?

The most common way and the most suitable one for newbies is to let
the distributor do the work.  So, if you're, say, a SUSE user, use their
online update (YOU) to get an updated package with the fix.
Most distributors offer updated packages very soon after a security problem
gets known and fixed.  (You haven't stated your distro.)

You only need the .diff file if you have compiled KDE from source on
your own.

HTH,
Christian.