seeking tips for setting up a home office...

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jan 19 19:31:59 GMT 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 17:53, kitts wrote:

> Thanks for the reference Nigel. I briefly went through the smoothwall site
> and it seems good. I am however, concerned that it is not just a software
> installation on linux but installs with linux. This would probably alright
> but then it seems that the kernel is an old one.
>
> I am particularly concerned as i do wish to have other software installed
> on the server but may be faced with compatibility problem with the older
> version of linux in place. I know i will have a subversion server running
> on it.
>
> Or is this all not really a problem at all?
>
> I do not mind putting up a higher config for the server. I could make my
> existing PC; an AMD64 3000+ with 1Gig of RAM be the server while i
> personally use a laptop.

It might be better to use a dedicated machine as the firewall, so it can be
really locked down, etc.
Depending on your specific needs it might even be recommendable to use an
firewall appliance, for example something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FR114P.php

You can still do the VPN setup on your server if the firewall system is not
fast enough.

As for question no. 4:
One word: Jabber, because you can install your own Jabber server, there are
several clients for a lot of platforms and only have to allow one specific
machine (the one the Jabber server is running on) to connect to the Internet
for external IM usage.

Cheers,
Kevin

--