Desktop Device Icons - Again -:)

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 14:30:13 GMT 2006

Dear All.

I have just made a clean installation of Mandriva 2006 Free Edition, with
fresh users with clean home directories as set up by the distro's scripts.

The KDE 3.4.2 Desktop does not show device icons.  There is one icon labelled
"devices".  When clicked, it opens a Konqueror window with a list of all
devices. Addition and removal of USB flash drives and card readers are
displayed correctly in the window.

What I would like is to have a set of icons on the desktop.  I have set the
"Configure Desktop > Behavior > Show Icons" correctly - the checkboxes show
the items to be displayed.  But nothing happens.

My questions: when an ephemeral icon (i.e USB drive) appears on the desktop,
is there a corresponding entry in $HOME/Desktop?  Is there a permission
problem somewhere?  Is there a central setting to allow display of desktop
device icons?

The desktop directory has the permissions:
 drwxrwxr-x   2 bjfowler bjfowler    312 Jan  3 12:27 Desktop

Another point - rather off topic

The supermount automounting system works perfectly for the floppy drive, but
completely fails for the hdd and hdc CD and DVD readers.  In Mandrake 9.2,
kernel 2.4.22,  the supermount worked perfectly.  Any reason? Any pointers?

TIA

Basil Fowler