saving contents of applications with a frozen kde desktop

Robert Morrison orbert at orbert.net
Thu Feb 23 15:40:55 GMT 2006

Hi Richard:

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 13:34, Richard Neill wrote:
> >>The dcop interface looked interesting first, but this only works for kde
> >>applications aware of dcop. As the dcop interface is easy to use I was
> >>able to
> >>send messages to e.g. kate and to tell it to close a given document. I
have
> >>not found a save method that I can send to kate.
> >

> > That surprises me, but I think you are right. I just spent
> > some time investigating and found 'kdcop', which gives us a
> > way to browse the dcop functions available. I tried a test
> > with Kate, and I don't see 'saveDocument()'.
> >

> If you use an editor like nano  or emacs, you'll get "filename.save"
> created if the editor is killed (-15, not -9) without saving. Doesn't
> kate do this? If not, it's a bug....

Good point. The OP's question was a general one, though, not
just for Kate or dcop-aware apps. But your point is still valid.
Do apps killed by an X restart get a kill -9 or -15? If the
former, it might help do a 'kill -15' on each of them before
restarting (assuming they create .save files or the equivalent
on that signal). It would take some homework and preparation,
but it could be part of the toolbox.

Best,
Robert