detaching a (non-KDE) program window from a frozen KDE desktop

Sebastian Reitenbach itlistuser at rapideye.de
Thu Feb 23 12:26:43 GMT 2006

Hi,

thanks to all replies to the other thread on how to tell applications to save
their contents via command line because of a frozen desktop.

As the technique is based on dcop, it is only working for dcop aware kde
applications. What can I do to save work in non-KDE applications?
Does there exist an other generic KDE way to tell other applications to save
their work?
Or does this has to be a feature of the application in question?

Or is there a way to tell the application in question to suspend to the
background in that way when the KDE gets killed and restarted the application
is not affected. After a restart of KDE i tell the application to come back
with all the unsaved work?

I mean such a functionality screen offers for the command line, i login to a
host via ssh start a screen session. there I start a tasks that will last very
long. Therefore I can send the screen to the background, and log off leaving
the job running. Later I can come back, and reattach to the screen session.

kind regards
Sebastian