Kaffeine and the web

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 00:08:50 GMT 2006

The problem was that the suse distro didn't support divx. Having fixed that
everything does seem to work ok but when I hit save stream konq bombed out
taking all associated windows with it. In this case saving the stream is
perfectly legal as the vid is free to use in the same sort of fashion that
gpl is.

Anybody know a fix for this or is it a bug?

For graphical users or people that are unsure.
On updating Kaffiene if any body want to do that it's fairly simple. Locate a
a xine rpm for your distro. Install it with your package manager. It will
report conficts  - that will be a version of libxine. Find that  and do the
same. There will be conflicts. Keep working down the list. Just find the
rpm's and install them. This applies to anything that you may want to
install.
The rpm's that will be required in order of installation to avoid the above
are win32codec-all,speex,libxine,and then kaffeine. The distro disks should
provide the other things that are needed.
Don't worry to much about 64 bit rpm's etc as the package manager will not
install them if they aren't suitable (well suze won't). Try for the highest
spec you think you need and work down.
The codecs required are exactly the same as mplayer's. See the xine site.
Keep copies of the lot in case they disappear off the web because in general
all packages will work with more recent versions of the libraries etc that
they use.

Regards
John

On Sunday 05 February 2006 21:48, John wrote:
> Looks like that may be a problem too. Last time I cured that it involved re
> installing xine and kaffeine. Xine will then use the codecs in
> usr/lib/win32 as it is supposed to do. I've put all the codecs there but no
> joy with the suse installation. Xine keeps extra codecs in usr/lib/win32.
> Maybe suse should check if a user has a valid windoze set up on their
> machine.
>
> The problem may also relate to the fact that the link opens in another
> window but I had the same problem on my previous version of kde. That
> seemed to be due to the player not been able to find the downloaded file. I
> couldn't either, seemed to be lost in space.
>
> Regards
> John
>
> Sunday 05 February 2006 19:36, ianseeks wrote:
> >  On Sunday 05 February 2006 15:13, John wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > My son has developed an interest in blender and there is a divx (?)
> > > tutorial on the net. Hit the link in konq and kaff fires up buffering
> > > the stream. It doesn't start playing it though.
> > >
> > > http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/contrib/interface.avi
> > >
> > > It downloads the lot and if I hit play it just downloads it again with
> > > the same result.
> > > Have also tried saving the stream. Load that and it just starts
> > > downloading again.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > John
> >
> > Does your version of Kaffiene have the ability to play AVI format?  Mine
> > doesn't but i've downloaded and installed MPlayer with all foramts and it
> > will play AVI files for me.
> >
> > If you download the file then use Kaffiene's Open option on the menu, the
> > filter at the bottom should say "All Supported Formats" - if the file
> > does not show up in the list of files then AVI is not supported by
> > Kaffiene.
> >
> > Sorry but I don't know how to add it.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Ian