I'm feeling paranoid - with good reason.

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 14:44:34 GMT 2006

Following the hint in John's message below, I checked my replacement
SpeedTouch 510 modem with Shieldup at grc.com.  All my ports were closed, but
pings were acknowledged.  This was not the case with old 530 modem, which
gave all clear.

I went into the command line interface to read the rules.  There was a rule
that stated "accept icmp echo-request".  This I changed to "drop".  The modem
is now fully stealthed.

BUT it had a backdoor.  The suppliers

DSL Shop
Net Lynk Limited
Roman Park, Roman Way,
Coleshil, Birmingham, B46 1HG
England.

had placed a rule in the modem firewall that it was to accept any incoming
packages from 217.196.1.140.  This I traced back via reverse DNS lookup to
the firm that suppled the modem.

I shall apprise the firm later that I have discovered the backdoor and the
have placed the fact on record.  Perhaps other readers could spread the word
to other more appropriate lists.

As far as I know, no attempt has been made by dslshop to contact my computer.
There is no trace in the logs from the secondary firewall.

Thanks for the hint John!

Basil Fowler