I'm feeling paranoid - with good reason.

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Feb 2 23:52:41 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 February 2006 20:06, John wrote:
> I know this is ot but.
> I strongly urge anybody that uses any sort of modem router to visit shields
> up at grc.com and see if their ports 254 and 255 are open. A search on the
> web will show that there is a problem on lots of them in this area. It
> seems that that most of them carried on shipping like that for a long time
> so it's probably a chip set problem. The zoom modem use a texas instruments
> chip set. Any sort of firewall is useless as the unit itself is at risk -
> mine definitely had it's firmware and or settings reprogrammed. Zoom also
> admitted that the firmware update does not prevent the open port. My
> current router does have a capability for remote adim but it can be turned
> off. (I hope) I ditched a Sagem adsl unit some time ago (years) as it was
> open to the same problem. They made them like that so that isp's can tweak
> them for their users etc.
> regards
> John

Hi John. If this is really so, it's almost beyond belief. To think that you
sign up for an ADSL connection, then are given, or pay a small amount for the
ADSL router/modem, which we later find out has a built in back door, so that
the ISP or any informed person can mess with our firewall, or modem settings.
I can understand the ISP's blocking port 80, so that if you want to run a
webserver from your Internet connection you have to perhaps negociate with
them, but this isn't the same as them, or anyone else messing with a piece of
hardware that you have in your possession. Incidentally John. Did grc.com, or
the other portscan show  ports 254, and 255 open? Of course. If you have
bought your ADSL router/modem from a supplier, there should, on the face of
it, be no reason why your ISP, or anyone else should be able to access it,
unless there are incoming ports open as default, which should never be the
case. I'm not being flippant, but in many ways am happy to be on dialup, and
having set up my Smoothwall myself, know that all incoming ports are closed.
I'm not being complacent. If some idiot is determined enough, they will find
a way to break through anything. All I can say is. Try to make sure all
incoming ports are closed. Set a good, non dictionary based password for
access to the firewalls webserver, and I was going to say "Pray", but perhaps
thats not in good taste, as it must be very frustrating. Nigel.