Unable to access Internet with Konqueror

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 15 22:58:08 GMT 2006

On Friday 15 December 2006 22:23, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 15 December 2006 22:09, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > All I'd like to know is. What sort of mess will my desktop be in if I
> > move .kde, then log out, and back in.
>
> Whenever you do something like this, be it renaming of single files or
> whole directories, remember to always do it *outside* the session that
> would be using this files.
>
> Logout would just save the current settings again, the move/renaming would
> be absolutely pointless.
>
> Anyway. Try to just rename .kde/share/config, this should at least keep the
> application specific data files intact and additionally allow you to move
> back configuration files for programs that still show correct behavior.
>
> Just to make sure:
> - logout as the user having the problems
> - login as a different user
> - open a Konsole window and "su" to the other user
> - only then move/rename files
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Hi Kevin. This appears to be a bigger problem than renaming .kde/share.config.
I tried removing the kio_httprc, and kioslaverc files while logged in as
another user which achieved nothing. Then, logged in as the original user I
renamed .kde/share/config. Logged out and back in, and a new desktop was
created. New background, smaller desktop icons, but still Konqueror refuses
to access the gateway, and I've just this moment clicked on Opera, and have
Internet radio playing, just like that.

What I don't understand is. Why will Konqueror access the Internet with a
different user using it. Why will using the superuserfilemanager in
Webbrowsing mode access the Internet within the original users userspace, but
Konqueror is unable to connect to the gateway when accessed by the original
user.

The new config files for kio_httprc, and kioslaverc are identical to those of
the the new user I created, yet it seems I'm being denied permission to use
Konqueror as the original user.

Personally I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's getting a bit late, and I think I'll have to take a break. I don't want
to lose Konqueror, because I mainly use it, rather than Opera or Firefox.

thanks for the suggestions.

Nigel.