Unable to access Internet with Konqueror

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 15 21:09:54 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 22:52, Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
> * Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> (Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:33:22PM +0100)

> > > Hmm.
> > > Try renaming them when not logged in under KDE. Either using a console
> > > login or when working as root.
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > > Kevin
> >
> > Apologies Kevin, but any hints on renaming files when not logged into a
> > GUI? I havn't tried that before.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get the other login screen
> login as yourself
> cd .kde/...wherever you need to be
> mv kio_httprc kio_httprc-2
> mv kioslaverc kioslaverc-2
>

> or even more simple
>

> mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-borken
> (of course that will move all your KDE settings, so only use as last ditch
> resort)

Hi Gerhard. Where do I go from here? If I move .kde will I lose all my music
icons from the desktop?

Renaming, or moving kio_httprc, and kioslaverc has no effect. Creating a new
user works, and I can access Konqueror as user. As original user I can access
the Internet with Firefox, and Opera. Also there are no problems with KDE's
Konsole in using apt-get for updates, but it that case it's su'ed to root.
Also I can use KDE's super user filemanage in webbrowser mode, again this is
running as root, but accesses the Internet ok.

This appears to be a permissions problem specifically for Konqueror accessing
the gateway from my original username. I don't believe it has anything to do
with DNS, as I can't even access the Smoothwall firewalls http server using
the gateway address.

All I'd like to know is. What sort of mess will my desktop be in if I
move .kde, then log out, and back in.

I do want to fix this, but don't see why I should have to perhaps trash .kde
just to fix a Konqueror problem.

Anyway after a few beers, anythings worth a go.

Nigel.