Unable to access Internet with Konqueror

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Dec 13 20:30:43 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 19:11, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 16:52, Gerhard den Hollander wrote:
> > * Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> (Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:33:22PM
> > +0100)
>
> [snip]
>
> > or even more simple
> >

> > mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-borken
> > (of course that will move all your KDE settings, so only use as last
> > ditch resort)
>
> Never, ever, recommend this, as by default this is where kmail stores its
> mail and konqueror it's bookmarks. Best is to only eliminate the problem
> files. in ~/$KDEHOME/config/ and ~/$KDEHOME/apps/

Hi Gary. I'm not sure which direction to go at the moment. To restate the
situation. I havn't had Debian Etch booted up for a while, but decided to get
the updates, and there were loads. 1000+ , and more than 711MB, including all
the KDE stuff. I didn't run Konqueror before the updates, or after. I have
Gkrellm installed on most of my distros, and noticed that the Debian Etch one
didn't display the IP address. So I built the Gkrellmip plugin  on Etch, and
rather than displaying the correct address 192.168.0.8, it displayed
169.254.187.86. After some messing about with ifconfig, route, and kde
control centres/Internet & Network/Network Settings, someone on the Debian
list suggested removing zeroconf.

This fixed the problem, and Gkrellm now displays the correct address, but
trying Konqueror afterwards I could not get Internet access. Firefox, Opera,
and KDE's console for getting updates using apt-get were working just fine.
Then I tried KDE's superuser file manager, gave the root password, then
changed it to webbrowser mode, and could access the Internet ok.

Kevin suggested creating a new user account, and doing that, Konqueror works
fine in the new account, but renaming kio_httprc, and kioslaverc, then
logging out and back in to KDE has not solved the problem with the original
user account.

I'm not concerned about Kmails mail, or Konquerors addresses on this Debian
Etch install, but I do have a lot of music apps on the desktop. If I do as a
the last resort, what Gerhard suggests, will I lose all my music apps?
Presumably yes.

Sorry. I'm at a bit at a loss as what to do here to fix this problem.

Nigel.