Unable to access Internet with Konqueror

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Dec 12 18:57:47 GMT 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 23:15, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 22:45, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Perhaps you set something in control center->Internet and
> > > Network->proxy that needs to be unset?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Philip
> >
> > Proxy is showing "Connect to the Internet directly", which is the same
> > for all my installs
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Just an addition to my post. I just fired up Wireshark (Ethereal) . Using
> Firefox, and going to http://www.opera.com, I get lots of activity on
> Wireshark, and can connect to the Opera site with no problems. If I try the
> Opera site with Konqueror, I get absolutely nothing showing on Wireshark.
> It's like Konqueror is not being recognised as a webbrowser. All that
> Konqueror displays when trying to access a website is.
>
> An error occurred while loading http://www.opera.com:
> Could not connect to host http://www.opera.com/.
>
> All a bit weird.
>
> Nigel.

I know replying to your own post is bad practice, but with no further replies
here goes with a bit more info.

I've just opened KDE's superuser file manager, changed it to webbrowsing, and
can access websites ok. It seems like Konqueror will only access the net now
while su'ed to root, which is very strange, to say the least.

Desktop permissions for Konqueror, super user filemanager, Konsole, etc, are
all showing user, and group with my user name.

Any suggestions?

Nigel.