Unable to access Internet with Konqueror

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Dec 11 22:15:29 GMT 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 22:45, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 11 December 2006 22:30, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > I had some network problems on Debian Etch which turned out to be due
> > > to zeroconf being installed. Gkrellm was displaying 169.254.187.86, not
> > > the correct machine address, which is 192.168.0.8. After messing with
> > > ifconfig, and route I eventually got a suggestion to remove zeroconf,
> > > and that has Gkrellm now showing the correct address.
> > >
> > > KDE version is 3.5.5, and Konqueror is also 3.5.5. I also messed with
> > > KDE's control centre's, Internet & Network/Network Settings to try and
> > > resolve this problem, before being told to remove zeroconf.
> > >
> > > Now I can access the Internet with Opera, and Firefox. I can also use
> > > KDE's Konsole with apt-get to get updates, and Kmail will retrieve mail
> > > ok, but Konqueror doesn't appear to be able to get access to the
> > > gateway, which is the Smoothwall firewall at 192.168.0.1. This doesn't
> > > seem to be a DNS problem, as Konqueror cannot access the Smoothwalls
> > > webserver, which is accessable with just the IP address, and port.
> > >
> > > Anybody got any magical KDE incantations to fix this?
> >
> > Perhaps you set something in control center->Internet and Network->proxy
> > that needs to be unset?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Philip
>
> Proxy is showing "Connect to the Internet directly", which is the same for
> all my installs
>
> Nigel.

Just an addition to my post. I just fired up Wireshark (Ethereal) . Using
Firefox, and going to http://www.opera.com, I get lots of activity on
Wireshark, and can connect to the Opera site with no problems. If I try the
Opera site with Konqueror, I get absolutely nothing showing on Wireshark.
It's like Konqueror is not being recognised as a webbrowser. All that
Konqueror displays when trying to access a website is.

An error occurred while loading http://www.opera.com:
Could not connect to host http://www.opera.com/.

All a bit weird.

Nigel.